Thursday, September 13, 2007

WTF is with Windows Live?

I used to use Windows Live Writer on a semi-regular basis until they stopped updating it (publically) and its bugs / glitches became more and more of a chore to deal with every passing day.

But now it's been about a year, year and a half, and now I'm ready to give it a spin. I've got some things to write about on another casual blog I maintain, and I hate the web-based interface for writing on it, so I thought I'd give Windows Live Writer another spin.

So I go to download WLW (Windows Live Writer), but instead I get a generic Windows Live suite installer that insists on installing Windows Live Messenger (that I already have installed) and Windows Live Desktop Mail (that I already have installed).

All I wanted was the goddamn WLM software. Was that really so hard for Microsoft to do? There's no way to cancel any of the other items to keep them from installing; hell, the only things it prompts you for is, "Do you want to install our awful toolbar and equally bad bullshit homepage ? ? ?"

That aside, some of the Windows Live software is really useful, but I don't know why they even bothered with the ridiculous branding. None of the software interoperates in any way. In fact, I think the only thing they have in common besides the name is the toolbar flair.

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to work at Microsoft. From the outside looking it, it's as if the teams there can pretty much do whatever they want and the end result doesn't matter. Microsoft Max, a suite of software that doesn't work as a suite, Vista...

Well, that's it for now.

No comments: