Monday, June 26, 2006

MSN Spaces --> Windows Live Spaces

The Space Craft: Windows Live Spaces is coming!

You’ll notice some changes we’ve made to the header, including the replacement of the current text ad links with banner ads across the top. Of course, as always, if you prefer to see no ads at all in your space, remember you always have the option to switch them off as a subscriber.

The Space Craft: Windows Live Spaces is coming!


The quote is only included because it's a hiliarious backstep -- everyone on the 'net is embracing relevant text ads because they get more clickthroughs, but here Microsoft is, falling back on the old-school banner ad concept. I'd love to know what their reasoning is. Who still intentionally clicks on completely random banner ads? The only ads this past year I've intentionally hit have been Google and Yahoo contextual text ads, mostly because they're faster than jumping on a search engine and sifting through the results.

...

...

Yeah, OK. Anyway.

I used to have an MSN Spaces account -- its, uh, geekninja.spaces.msn.com if that's the URL format. I migrated over to Blogger because the technical restrictions, frankly, were starting to piss me off.

What got me most was the censorship -- back when I used MSN Spaces, I believe it wouldn't let me post a blog topic because it had the work "fuck" in it, or some such nonsense. I was like, what the fuck? Dude, dude, dude, I just wanna blog, is that not cool with you or something? I'll admit that MSN Spaces has a lot more features to offer than Blogger.com does, but at least Blogger.com minds its own business with regards to what I post.

Now, its too late -- I'm already firmly entrenched with Blogger.com and there's no going back. I already have two journals -- a personal Live Journal and this "tech" journal -- and there's no room for a third powered by Live. Sorry. :/


(side-note: Flock's blogging feature just stopped working. wtf?)

No comments: